Thursday, April 12, 2007

It just blows my aura right off, y'know?

This afternoon I'll fly out of Albequerque, my 5 and a bit days in New Mexico having come to an end. It has been great here but WAY cold - comparable to a Wellington southerly snap. My face has been dry and inflamed because of the wind, and even the gentlest fragrance-free moisturiser stings when I apply it to my poor skin.
Me smiling through the pain of coldness

On the Bridge in the Wind
While here, I hiked around Bandelier National Monument; we went up to Taos and stayed in the historic Mabel Dodge Luhan House.
Taos is an artsy little colony near the ski mountains, full of galleries and shops and alternative hippy types. At a Taos cafe, the barista (a young woman) commented this of the chilly wind: "I feel like it just like, blows my aura off, y'know?" (Yes, they're her words, not mine. But I get what she was saying!)
Outside Taos we stopped in to visit The Greater World Earthship Community, the world HQ of Earthships, a totally sustainable self-powered form of housing. The walls of these homes are made from tyres rammed with earth, cans and bottles help to fill in space and add decorative qualities to an adobe finish.
Earthship, soda can walls
Yesterday I spent a whole day wandering around Santa Fe, looking at galleries and shops and amazingly, buying nothing! The most beautiful things i saw were some glass sculptures by Christopher Ries at the Wiford Gallery
Glass sculpture 2
I ate so much good New Mexican food while I was here, had two great hot pool experiences, and mucho quality time with Brenna. Next time I come to NM, though, I hope it is hot and sunny!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Santa Fe was about my favourite town in all the USA. I could happily go back and spend days and days hopping round the galleries. Just yesterday I wore an amber necklace I bought in a weird dark little basement store there.
    Bon voyage for the next leg!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I am not looking forward to the next long flight (on Lufthansa, ick) with a 10 hour gap til my connecting flight to Tel Aviv... :(

    ReplyDelete